Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Flat 12

These guys are currently the new kid on the block, but they are no dummies. I like a couple things about this brewery. One, they offer four great regular brews including an amber, an IPA, a porter, and a blonde that would all please even the most refined pallet (which I am not).

If I had to pick a favorite, it would probably be their Amber Ale. I say this not because I am a fan of smooth amber-colored "marzen" style beers. SIDE NOTE: This is actually not a marzen-style beer, but in the "off Oktoberfest season" it will do. Anyway, I say this because it is probably the most balanced of all the beers. What does balanced mean, you ask? Balanced could probably best be summed up by saying that the malt profile well complements the hop profile, and vice versa. Essentially meaning it's not too hoppy and it's not too sweet. This creates a beer that is both drinkable and versatile. I say versatile because it could potentially be paired with any number of foods. From hot dogs to filet mignon, this beer would complement them all.

The other thing I like about this brewery is the fact that they serve pints. Due to Indiana Law (BOO!) a brewery is not allowed to serve pints unless they have food available to their patrons. In some cases this could be as simple as a hot dog or a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Ok, I understand why the law is there. Heaven forbid some drunk idiot should drive off half-hammered from one too many pints and not have the opportunity to have his PB&J or his Hebrew National with extra mustard.

ANOTHER SIDE NOTE: I am going to rant from time-to-time. I have nothing against Flat 12, and I think they are a good brewery with lots of potential to be great.

Cheers,

Nate

No comments:

Post a Comment